As I sit at home, convalsecing from arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder, I am forced to think about the effects of age on my young, thirty year-old body. The doctor who performed the surgery found nothing wrong with my shoulder. I was puzzled because the pain with which I had been living was very real. If there is nothing wrong with my anatomy, is there a problem with my perception? Is it possible that mentally, I wanted something to be wrong with me, and that desire brought about a percieved pain?
I consider it. Looking at some other factors that would contribute to my overall health, I find faults. Lack of excercise, a mediocre diet, and inconsistencies in many other disciplines could have their roles. But what of age? Could my mind be more sensitive to the physical aches and pains I experience? If so, how could I adjust my life to accomodate?
Additionally, if a man is a complete being, the whole should be addressed. I could go on and on about how my soul has been neglected and how spiritually, my life is anything but active. These things, as well should be considered.
So what is the answer? Surely, I could make determinations and resolutions to live a healthier life, but without renewal, none of the requisite change will occur. It is obvious that I cannot return to my youth, when my physical health was at a peak. Nor can I return to my college years, when I believe I was mentally the sharpest.
Yet, life can not live without action. Action can not exist without determination. What am I missing? Maybe all that is missing is a positive step. ... But can I keep it up?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment