02 August 2009

Boasting?

For the past 20 weeks, I've been taking Greek II through Semlink at GCTS. I must have been out of my mind to think that I could do well in a master's level Greek class with all of the upcoming events in our life! I was preparing to leave the Navy, to move out of "base housing" and to move into a smaller apartment on campus housing. We wound up sorting through so much of our "stuff" and getting rid of a lot. Then there was the issue of finding insurance after we moved and we were no longer covered by TRICARE. Yolanda is pregnant (with our 3rd boy!) and due Sept 5th; I am no longer eligible for benefits on Aug 9th. Oh yeah, and we were selling our house in North Carolina. I have no idea how I thought I could handle all of it! To say the least, the past 10 or so weeks have been a blur. Strangely enough, despite all the things that NEEDED to be done, something continued to remind me that we had to do the things we were doing.

I am now nearing the end of my 6 yr, 1 month Naval career. The end is in sight, and I am ready to begin again. Our new life will no longer be a military family, but it will be a family in seminary. All of us are excited to see what is in store for us. Personally, it feels like I have a great weight taken off of my back. God is truly blessing us in our transition!


The most recent example of His blessing is found in what was my final grade in Greek II. With all of the stuff going on in life, Greek had taken a back seat. A week before my second exam, I was behind seven weeks in the lectures (one lecture a week). Somehow (I attribute this to God), I got a 86.7 on the exam! After that exam, I didn't do much of anything for the class. Then came time to take the final. Because I wasn't faithful with schoolwork, I had to review the 7 weeks I previously crammed and blitz through the rest of the lectures. Despite all of my efforts, when I took my final exam, I hadn't even listened to two lectures! My final exam score was 86.2. This pushed my final grade to 89.6! Truly, I have NO idea how I achieved that score! My final exam score was higher than my second exam!


Did I even learn anything in that class? Yes, but I have to admit that I definitely did NOT master the material!


So, what's the point? Am I bragging? Well, only in the fact that God extended grace by having me even pass the course! God taught me something more important than the language of the New Testament. He taught me that His grace will cover all of my needs. ... and as Paul wrote, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!"

No comments: