13 July 2009

Thoughts From a New Seminarian

Yolanda and I have moved into our new apartment on campus. We now have arranged the boxes in our new home so that we can tolerate living amongst the cardboard. (FYI: the boxes are not really made of cardboard; Cereal boxes are made of cardboard. Moving boxes are made from corrugated paper.) Meanwhile, back at the ranch... We excavated the required things, and hopefully, we have a decent grip on our immediate needs. I now need to turn my attention to my Greek II class. I have 2 weeks until my final exam. Unfortunately, according to the classwork, I am on week 9 of 20. The worst part about it is that my last exam was during week 12. Needing to do something about this situation, over the next few days, I'm going to be in the library. Conveniently, the library has little desks called "carrels" that you can check out for the semester. I now have one. It is in the basement, but I've got a great view of a centi-block wall with an electrical outlet! It is the perfect place to plug in my macbook and ummm, study and stuff.

Establishing myself at my carrel today, I started to look around. There were few students, but a lot of the desks had books and lamps and other things left on them, waiting for their respective owners to return. Whoever uses the carrel next to me appears to have moved all of the stuff from his dorm/apartment and started to live in the library! Looking at all the different semi-inhabited desks makes me wonder how many students actually see the light of day. I couldn't help but think of the tale of Don Quixote. The story goes that this man from La Mancha read books on chivalry until his brain shriveled, and he began to believe he was a "modern-day knight." Maybe the same thing happens down there in that basement: Students will read so much stuff on God, doctrine, etc. that they when they finally emerge to see the sun, the shock induced by the new surroundings and bright light will be so great that they begin to believe that they ARE God and try to save the world! Maybe that is just my over-active imagination amusing me when I'm supposed to be devoting my time to study. Pursuing an education does weird things to people. I can't wait to see how I turn out! LOOK, A SQUIRREL!

No comments: